USDA Process Verified – Companies with approved USDA Process Verified Programs are able to make marketing claims associated with their process verified points such as age, source, feeding practices, or other raising and processing claims and market themselves as “USDA Process Verified” with use of the “USDA Process Verified” shield and term. (Source: USDA)To receive approval for a Process Verified Program, a company is obligated to:
- Present a detailed program to the USDA with support for why this program is appropriate and accurate
- Implement the program successfully
- Pass continual audits from the USDA AMS auditors
- If new validated practices evolve in the future, the program must change to include these new practicesPerdue is the first poultry company to have a “USDA Process Verified” program. Process Verified means that Perdue has been evaluated and verified by the USDA in the following two areas:
- All vegetarian fed – Chickens are fed a high quality vegetarian diet, with no animal by-products.
- Raised cage free – Perdue chickens are free to roam within the chicken houses.